Our 5 Strategic Objectives:
- To Enhance The Capacity Of Member Organisations In Implementation Of Development Programs Focusing On Ecological Land Use Management
Zambia will work towards enhancing the practice and uptake of ecological land use management ( ELUM ) among its members and small scale farmers. With continued land degradation coupled with the effects of climate change, the practice of ELUM will contribute to the sustainability of the natural resources and also build resilience among communities from the effects of climate change.
Building capacity, experience and knowledge sharing as well as practical demonstration will form core activities in promoting ELUM. Policy advocacy will also be undertaken to contribute to the formation of policies and programmes that will increase productivity, production and diversification in the agriculture sector. Cross cutting issues such as gender, governance and climate change will also be part of the activities in enhancing ELUM among member organisation and communities.
- Baseline survey of ELUM appreciation and uptake in Zambia.
- Conduct research and trainings in ELUM related technologies and practices.
- Produce facts sheets/literature on ELUM to promote it among communities
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and exchange visits among communities.
- Share experiences and lessons with other stakeholders
2. To Enhance Information Flow, Shared Learning And Networking Among Member Organizations For Effective Implementation Of Development.
As a member-based network , PELUM activities are centered on its members to actively support and participate in its programmes and projects. To achieve this, PELUM Zambia will endeavor to enhance its information sharing function by providing regular information on issues surrounding its core objectives to ensure that members are kept informed of funding opportunities and /or collaboration, policy developments, both national and regional, market information and linkages, especially for small scale farmers, and any other relevant information in the sector . Information sharing will be done through the PELUM website, emails, newsletter, publications and meetings /conferences.
To enhance networking further, experience and knowledge-sharing among member organisations will also be promoted by facilitating exchange visits and making presentations at conferences or meetings. Members participating at these conferences and meetings will be required to share experiences with the network through reports.
Member organisations form the core decision making body of the network and thus, their participation in shaping the agenda of PELUM Zambia will continue to rest on the membership. To ensure that member participate in decision making, annual general and planning meetings and the tri-Annual meeting will be held to ensure consistent participation of the members and programme implementation.
- Develop and adopt a communication strategy;
- Facilitate information sharing through email,website,newsletter and publications;
- Facilitate exchange visits and participation in national events such as the agriculture show.;
- Establish strategic partnerships with other CSOs/NGOs/Private sector;
- Hold annual plannings meetings;
3. To Build The Capacities Of Member Organisations (Mos) To Influence Policies That Affect Small Holder Farmers And Vulnerable Communities
Building internal capacities of member organisations will ensure that members have the capacities to carry out programmes more effectively and engage with stakeholders to influence decision making. To achieve this support will be towards enhancing the understanding of PELUM and related topics that may also be cross cutting, as well as facilitating training to enhance internal capacities member organisations to be able to effectively manage and run programmes and projects, and advocate for policies that will support their needs.
- Conduct annual budget and policy analysis
- Strengthen the campaign and advocacy strategy (revise)
- Conduct training /workshops for MOs to enhance their capacity to analyse policies and engage policy makers
- Identify and track policy issues to use for advocacy
- Establish focal points in provincial centers to enhance member participation and information sharing in the network.
4. To Increase And Diversify The Financial Resource Base Of Pelum Zambia ,And Strengthen Organisation Capacities For Effective Implementation Of Programmes
To function well and carry out its programmes and projects, PELUM Zambia requires a sustainable financial base that will meet its operational as well as programme costs. With the current global economic fluctuations, donors have equally scaled down on funding as well as areas of focus .This has resulted in stiff competition in getting funding and therefore requires aggressive and smart resource mobilization strategy .
This will require the development of a good resource mobilization strategy that will identify potential sources of funding in the area of natural resource management and other areas that PELUM Zambia is involved in. It will also explore other areas of potential funding such as the private sector, fundraising activities and in country sources .
Fostering strategic partnerships will play an important role in strengthening PELUM Zambian’s capacities, influence in the agriculture sector in Zambia and create impact among communities to this effect long term collaborations and partnerships will be sought.
- Develop a new resource mobilization strategy
- Strengthen internal capacities and process of the secretariat
- Develop strategic partnerships to enhance visibility and influence on agriculture and related issues.
5. To Advocate , Promote And Support Policies And Practices That Will Enhance Food Security And Nutrition
The importance of linking agriculture and nutrition cannot be over emphasized, and it is important to recognize the fact that achieving food security cannot be talked about with talking about nutrition.
PELUM Zambia will, under this objective, work towards the fight against hunger and malnutrition, advocating, promoting and supporting the production and practices that will improve food security (diversification ) and good nutrition .this effort requires collaboration and networking by different stake holders and at all levels of society..
- Promote policy engagement ,dialogue and debate on issues of food security and nutrition
- Track and review related national and regional policies and protocols,e.g agriculture,policy ,climate change policy,seed policies,COMESA,SADC,AU,WTO protocols.
- Build a strong alliance and partnership with like-minded organisations for collective action
- Create awareness among the communities ( urban and rural ) on issues of food security and malnutrition