Who we are
PELUM Zambia is non-governmental organisation that has for a period of over ten years been empowering small-scale farmers in the rural communities in Zambia.
The main agendas of PELUM Zambia are poverty eradication, seed and food security and increased farmers’ livelihoods… read more
The organisation seeks to improve the living standards of vulnerable rural and peri-urban communities through capacity building, sustainable management and utilization of natural resources, networking, research, community development and evidence based campaign advocacy and lobbying.
PELUM Zambia is part of PELUM Association, which is a network of Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) in Southern, Eastern and Central Africa.
All the member organisations work in the field of participatory ecological land use management and together as a PELUM Association they advocate for participatory approaches and networking in enhancing the capabilities of small-scale farmers.
“To bring up empowered and self-organised communities utilizing and managing their natural resources sustainably for improved quality of life”
“We operate as a member driven organization, that seeks to improve the living standards of vulnerable rural and peri-urban communities through capacity building, sustainable management and utilization of natural resources, networking, research, and evidence based campaign advocacy and lobbying”
Key Values And Principles
In order for our general membership, partners and stakeholders to a have confidence in PELUM Zambia to fulfill its vision and mission, a set of key principles and values has been determined to guide the personal and professional standing, behavior and attitude of the personal. The following are PELUM Zambia’s key values and principles:Transparency and Accountability: The Network is firmly founded on the principles of transparency, accountability and good governance.
- We shall act with clarity, equity and objectivity in designing, interpreting and applying PELUM’s policies and procedures. Any other way that can ease fulfilling obligations and avoid misunderstandings and conflict shall be applied.
- We shall endeavour to abide by the requirements of the Network in our dealings with MOs, partners and other stakeholders to ensure that all dealings are open and are at arm`s length;
- Gender equity: We believe in equality between men and women. PELUM Zambia is committed to promoting gender and intergenerational equality. The Network shall endeavor to observe gender requirements in recruiting staff and in dealing with capacity building programmes of MOs and local communities in line with its existing Gender Protocol or Policy which is subject to periodical review and updating;
- Participatory, people centered and rights based development: We aspire to carry out development that is rooted in the interests, hearts, minds and rights of the members and all the communities working with them;
- Respect for indigenous knowledge: We strongly value local knowledge and wisdom that has been developed and applied by local people to manage their resources and preserve their cultural heritage for generations;
- Professionalism and team work: We will strive to deliver the best quality services to our clients with utmost rigor and efficiency whilst working together in a spirit of team work, creativity and mutual respect to achieve common objectives;
- Sustainable use of natural resources: We believe that it is the responsibility of our (the current) generation to ensure that as we use our natural resources to meet our needs and aspirations we do compromise with the ability of future generations to benefit and meet their needs from the same resources.